While the concept of infusing alcohol with flavors isn't new, there's a lesser-known technique that's been making waves in the world of mixology: fat-washed alcohol. This intriguing process involves infusing spirits with fats like olive oil, resulting in unique and aromatic bases for cocktails.
What Does Fat-Washed Alcohol Mean?
Fat-washing is a technique that originated in the culinary world and has found its way into cocktail bars. Essentially, it involves infusing alcohol with fats, such as oils or even butter, to imbue the spirit with rich, savory, or nutty flavors. In our case, we're diving into the world of olive oil-washed drinks.
So, what can be washed with olive oil? The answer is a variety of spirits, but some of the most popular choices include bourbon, rum, and gin. These spirits readily absorb the flavors and aroma of olive oil, creating a harmonious marriage between the two ingredients.
How to Make Olive Oil-Washed Alcohol
The process of olive oil-washing alcohol is surprisingly simple:
- Choose your spirit: Select a spirit like bourbon, rum, or gin as your base.
- Combine oil and spirit: Pour a measured amount of the spirit into a container and add a small amount of high-quality extra virgin olive oil. The ratio is generally around 1:1 or 2:1 spirit to oil.
- Infusion: Seal the container and let it sit for about 24 to 48 hours at room temperature. During this time, the flavors of the olive oil will infuse into the spirit.
- Freeze and separate: Place the container in the freezer for a few hours. The olive oil will solidify, making it easy to separate from the alcohol. Use a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to strain out the oil.
- Final touch: Your olive oil-washed spirit is now ready to be used in cocktails! The result is a spirit with a delicate, nuanced flavor profile that's perfect for crafting unique drinks.
Cocktail Ideas with Olive Oil-Washed Drinks
Now that we understand the basics of fat-washed alcohol and how to make it, let's explore some delightful cocktail ideas that feature PURA olea olive oil-washed spirits:
1. Olive Oil-Infused Bourbon Old Fashioned
This classic cocktail gets a modern twist with the addition of olive oil-washed bourbon. The result? A rich and silky Old Fashioned that's both smooth and complex. Garnish with an orange peel and a Luxardo cherry for the perfect finish.
2. Mediterranean Gin Martini
Elevate your Martini game by using olive oil-washed gin. The herbal notes of gin are beautifully complemented by the subtle olive oil undertones. Shake with a splash of vermouth and serve with a twist of lemon for a Mediterranean-inspired masterpiece.
3. Rum & Olive Oil Sour
This cocktail combines the sweetness of rum with the richness of olive oil for a delightful twist on the classic sour. Add fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, and a touch of egg white for a frothy finish. A drizzle of olive oil on top adds a luxurious touch.
Exploring the world of fat-washed alcohol, particularly with olive oil infusions, can open up a realm of exciting flavors and unique cocktails. Whether you're a seasoned mixologist or a home bartender, experimenting with these unconventional infusions can take your cocktail game to new heights.
So, the next time you're looking for an innovative way to impress your guests or simply want to enjoy a one-of-a-kind drink, consider creating your own olive oil-washed spirits. Cheers to the art of mixology and the endless possibilities it offers!